Saturday, March 28, 2009

Procrastination is Attitude's Natural Assassin...!

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with the first step."~Chinese Proverb
True...but that pesky first step can be a killer, can't it! I love Will Rogers' quote, "Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." So many times we have great intentions. We're going to read a good book, write out our five year life plan, start a new business, lose weight. But for some reason, we can't quite get around to taking that first step.
We're all guilty of procrastinating. But here's the thing. Procrastinating when something is important, when it's something you know you should do, can drain your energy and you won't even know it.
"Procrastination is attitude's natural assassin. There's nothing so fatiguing as an uncompleted task."
This quote by William James is worth its weight in gold. There are times when I have difficulty setting aside blocks of time to write. I know I should be doing it. In fact, I even love doing it (once I get started), but...here we go...back to that pesky first step.
When I need a "nudge," I visualize just how good I'm going to feel about myself when I finish.
I know I'll feel energized. I also know I'll feel proud that I did something I didn't want to do.
So make a point to find something that works for you when you need a nudge to get started.

No comments:

Post a Comment